Thursday, March 9, 2017

Farm-to-Table Photo Project


A few years ago I helped my chef friend John MacPherson develop a pilot for a TV concept - In Season - which featured John going out into the field to hunt, gather, and harvest fresh, seasonal ingredients, and followed him back to the kitchen where he put it all together for a great meal. 

The narrative arc of a chef fishing, hunting and foraging for THAT DAY'S MENU made for good TV with strong visuals and a great payoff at the end. 



For busy restaurateurs, of course, consistently acquiring seasonal, local ingredients is more complicated, and involves a lot of people. 

I've always thought that the real story of how great local food gets from "farm-to-table" - and the people along the way - would make a terrific photo story, but as a lifelong suburban kid I wasn't sure where or how to start.

Now, years later, I find myself in Ontario's Waterloo Region, home to three bustling cities - Waterloo, Kitchener, and Cambridge, and four big agricultural townships. The restaurant scene in these burgs is very robust, and 'farm-to'table' isn't just a buzzword. With 1400+ farms within the Region proper, and over 4500 farms in the greater central Ontario area, "farm-to-table" is a reality even in modest brewpubs and family-friendly eateries.

I also have found some amazing local people who share a passion for the Region's local food and restaurant scene. 

Local Line, a tech business founded by Cole Jones, helps local producers, distributors, retailers, and of course, restaurants, find each other. Cole responded almost immediately to my email with a hearty welcome to the region and offered to help me make connections to get the project started.

Andrew Coppolino is a local food writer for CBC and the creator of Waterloo Region Eats, which has quickly become my go-to resource for local restaurants. Andrew met me for a beer at Abe Erb, and when I asked him "Where would be a good place to start?" he pointed to the floor below us. The owner of this brewpub sources his own chicken and pork from livestock he buys at the start of the season.

FoodLink is a non-profit that advocates for local food and helps consumers find what they're looking for. The site contains a massive amount of content in blogs, recipes,  events and a searchable map that allows users to search by the ingredient they want. Anna Contini responded immediately to my email and we'll be meeting soon to figure out ways to work together.


The first shoots for this project will be happening soon, and I'll be sharing updates as we go. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment