Thursday, January 12, 2017

OK, The weather and the CRACK

So, a little background…

Some of you know that I drive a 2003 Ford Explorer that I absolutely LOVE. 

My stately 14-year old truck has only 134,000 miles on her, and I have babied her inside and out and under the hood, fully intending to get to at least 250,000.

One small point of pride - the 2001-2005 Explorers have a defect in the material used for the rear lift gate - a hardshell plastic panel just below the glass - that is notorious for developing a crack down the middle with age and rapid temperature changes. My Miss Dora, however, has been crack-free -- until the Canadian winter started in on her.
We had a few days of single-digit (Fahrenheit) nights, followed by a relatively balmy day where the temp got above freezing - so I hit the car wash - and heard an audible pop from the rear of the vehicle as the warm wash started. DAMMIT! I immediately knew what it was….




Found a supplier for a replacement panel, and a video for DIY, and it looks pretty straightforward - but this will have to wait until Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment