Tuesday, November 22, 2016

First Things First - It Wasn't the Election

Since we touched down in Canada this summer, the first question everyone asks is whether I and my wife fled to this country in anticipation of the US election results.  To clarify - until November 9 they asked this jokingly - now they ask seriously. 

Either way, the answer, happily, is no.

In 2002 I had the good fortune to marry a Canadian woman, with the understanding that, as much as she wanted to return to her home turf, and as much as I liked Canada, I needed to stay in Maryland, near my kids from my first marriage. We made a pact that when my older kids flew the coop, so would we, heading north to resettle permanently in Ontario, near Kate's family and friends.

Fourteen years later, we have put the plan into action. We found a renter for our house in MD, and started packing. And packing, and packing. We'd crossed the border dozens of times over the years, but on June 21, we went into the administration office at the Peace Bridge and my wife declared herself as a "Canadian citizen, former resident, officially repatriating as of today." And, befitting the occasion, handed over a bunch of forms.

And, the fun begins…..

No comments:

Post a Comment